Do you want to make explainer videos, fun cartoons, or catchy posts to share online? 2D animations software is your best bet. When you have great 2D animations software at hand, you can create intricately detailed and interesting posts and videos/stories that help you connect with your audience in a much better way.
To get a better grasp of what animation software is, let us have a look at it below:
What is an Animation Software:
2D or 3D Animation software is used to create graphics that are in motion in a single frame. The individual frames are then combined to create motion graphics that are majorly used for animated series/movies and motion graphics. Both, 2D animations and 3D animations are used to create feature movies and video games. GIFs, games, videos, and presentations, everything requires animation software.
Such animated posts/videos can target several audiences – you can use them in tracking kids, turning photos into animated cartoons, making explainer content videos for presentations for employees and staff, and so on. 3D animated videos can be used in creating such a magical impact on audiences. Certainly, it is magnificent.
Down Below, we have compiled a list of the best 2D Animations Software that will make your animations professional and impactful.
1. Adobe Animate:
Adobe Animate is a 2D animations software that is vector based and specifically designed for mobile app and web development. This software can be used to animate vector graphics, create interactive content and add effects to graphics, create interactive web pages, and much more. Adobe Animate also offers built-in templates that are customizable. Let us look at the features of Adobe Animate.
- Animate vector graphics
- Create interactive content
- Simple to use drag and drop actions
- Add effects to animations like color, tone, and temporal effects
- Multiple effects available in templates
- Extensive support for animating vector graphics
- Customization possible
Synfig is a free 2D animations software that is compatible with Windows, Linux, and OSX. It is the perfect software for 2D animations because it is open-source and vector-based software that offers more than 50 layers that can be used to make simple animations to advanced animations. From beginners to experts, everyone can use it. Several tutorials are available for people to get a grasp of how to use this software. There is no limitation to this software which is striking because it is completely free. If you are opting for fast and efficient animation, Synfig is the best option to use. Let us have a quick look at Synfig’s key features.
- Supports multiple layers (up to 50 to create animations as well as artwork)
- The bone system enables the creation of cutout animations sourced from bitmap images
- Sound support allows for the addition and syncing of voiceover and music to the videos
- Provides two different versions with different attributes
- Vector tweening diminishes the need for manual tweening
- Stores files in XML format
- Supports formats like GIF and MNG
- Advanced controls like link parameters of different layers
- Contains High Dynamic Range Imaging
- Training videos offered in English, French, and Dutch
Opentoonz is a free-to-use 2D Animations software that is compatible with Windows and OSX. It is used to make animations beautifully and seamlessly. It offers multiple options to the user which enables him to add different elements and features to the animations. Let us look at the key features of OpenToonz below.
- GTS scanning tool (can be used for sequence scanning)
- Change picture styles
- Add distortion
- Add light effects
- Compatible with colored and black-and-white scans
- Animation effects
- Wide range of keyboard shortcuts
- Efficient and seamless cutout animation
- FX schematic feature
- In-built particle effect features like rain, snow, sparkles, smoke, and so on
- Trustworthy software as endorsed by animation studios
Renderforest is a one-stop solution for video, animation, logo, and website design and development. This tool is fantastic for 3D modeling and animation. Renderforest is an -obvious choice for the people who are willing to go for an animated video, post, visualization, and intro reels. So, Let us have a look at its main features.
- Thousands of animated templates
- Ready-made animated blocks
- Machine learning and AI help with 2D animations
- Web page animations on a click
- Intuitive and attractive user interface
Pencil2D is an intuitive tool that makes it a breeze to curate 2D hand-drawn animations. It runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. It is an open-source, simple-to-use tool and is accessible by anyone. This is the best choice for those who want to draw character-based hand-drawn, 2d design. So, this is best for those artists who are just starting in the field of digital art. Let us have a look at the key features of Pencil 2D.
- Easy to use
- Switch between Raster and Vector
- Streamlines and speeds up work
- The timeline features allow you to choose the pace for the movement of the animation
- Detailed tutorials
- Minimal design
- Free access to a community of users that discusses problems, solutions, developments, and so on
K-3D is another 2D animations and 3D animation software that is there on the list. It is known for its flexible plugins and is a terrific tool for artists and animators. It is widely known to be intuitive and easy to use and learn. K-3D is compatible with both Mac and Windows. It further offers endless possibilities. So, It is best suited for professional artists and animation experts, it is a great tool for creating 2D and 3D films, movies, documentaries, and designing products. So, Let us have a look at some of the key features that make it stand out from the rest.
- Extremely flexible
- Node-based visualization
- Undo/redo system advancement
- Combine flexible plugins
- Robust and object-oriented plugin
- Provides motion picture quality from the scratch
- Parametric workflows
- Multiple combinations are possible
- User-friendly interface
- Offers 2D and 3D animation
- Complex workflows are a breeze to create
Blender s certainly the most powerful and widely used tool for animation. Be it 2D animations or 3D animations. It is used across a variety of industries and used for creating animated movies, for instance, 3D print models, motion graphics, and special visual effects. It is also widely used in educational videos in the form of VFX and 3D. Because it has a game engine feature, you can also easily create games with it. It is compatible with Apple and Android devices and OSX. it further integrates seamlessly with Cinema 4D, Stop Motion Studio, and Flipbook. So, let’s quickly review the unique features.
- Creation of renders using high-end production
- An extensive toolset that provides sculpting and retopology
- Robust stimulation using libraries like Bullet and Mantaflow
- Efficient inbuilt video editor
- Supports game creation
- Grease pencil tool
- Geometric primitive range support like ecospheres, Bezier Curves, and metaballs
- Customization possible
- Award-winning animation
- Integrated with Collada, Alembic, and more
- In-depth tutorials
8. Animation paper:
Animation paper is one of the top animation software that is available in the market. Moreover, It offers a huge variety of 2D animations that can be use for a variety of purposes. It is compatible with Windows, Linux, and Mac. Professionals use this software to produce excellent animations. So, it is also use by filmmakers and game developers. The ease of use is incredible and also, the speed of working is amazing too. So, it is used extensively in mankind’s animations and character sketches. Let’s quickly review the unique features.
- High-quality lines
- Light table feature
- Toolbar is customizable
- Color-coded layering
- Efficiency in color and changes post paint
- Alternative ways of flipping like wheel and return flip
- Sooth real-time rotation
- Smooth real-time zooming
- Scenes can be played in sequence
- User-friendly interface
- Fast responsiveness
- Lightweight and efficient
Choosing the best 2D animation software is tricky sure, but we just made your work 100x easier by listing down the key features of all the top 8 2D animation software. Enjoy animating!